Why is PS Vita WIFI so slow?

Discussion in 'PS Vita System & Accessories' started by Filip, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Filip

Filip New Member

I have 100 Mb Internet connection, 802.11n router and my average Internet speed on my desktop computer is 70 Mb. But through PS Vita, I can reach only 12 Mb ( according to Internet Connection Test ).
    How it is possible?
    Does PS Vita support only older standard 802.11g or it is somehow limited to 12 Mb?
    Did someone measure higher speeds than 12 Mb ?
  2. Mr.AlsVita

Mr.AlsVita Well-Known Member

Canada
    PSN:
    syscoman
    My Vita downloads everything quick. :)

I downloaded DJMP3 and it took under 45 minutes to download (1.5GB). It would have taken almost two hours on my PSP. :mad:
  3. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin Active Member

I haven't had a problem either to be honest i have been pleasantly surprised with how fast the wi-fi is, i was expecting it to have a lot of problem at launch but my demos have been downloading as quick as they do on the PS3 and sometimes quicker :) and the online on Fifa has been surprisingly smooth as well :)
  4. DarkREaper006

DarkREaper006 Well-Known Member

Germany
    PSN:
    Darkreaper006
    do you have the 3g or wifi? my wi/fi work's great i don't know why on my pc its slow like hell but when i use it on my psv it goes lighting fast..........im lonely
  5. Filip

Filip New Member

But this means, your download speed can be 4.5Mb/s. So still not higher than 12Mb/s. I only wanted to know if someone measured higher speed than 12 Mb.
  6. Mr.AlsVita

Mr.AlsVita Well-Known Member

Canada
    PSN:
    syscoman
    I have the wifi (no 3G model in Canada yet). I don't use my PC for downloading my games though.

I also use Shaw digital internet.
  7. 2die4

2die4 Active Member

your download speed does not matter what matters is the upload speed of the other side if they upload at 5 meg and you have 100 meg download no matter what you will always get 5 meg download
  8. Inoperable Brain Tumor

Inoperable Brain Tumor Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    Cloroxbb
    There are a crapload of factors...

but anyway... I can get almost 1MB/s (yes megabyte, not megabit) so its fine IMO. It really depends on the server you are downloading from.
  9. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    F34RTEHR34PER
    There are a lot of factors involved... signal strength, signal quality, server quality, server traffic, etc., etc. However, the Vita is limited in that it only uses a n (1+1) configuration, meaning it uses SISO instead of MIMO.
  10. sootom

sootom Well-Known Member

PSN:
    sootom
    i can get 12kbps lol
    but i love where i live so i can't complain
  11. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I was the same way sootom. Loved where I lived, had to use 3g for internet. Now I'm more city bound, albeit in a small city. Great internet, but sacraficed my country living for convenience.
  12. JoeDiver

JoeDiver Member

PSN:
    Joe-Diver_TX
    I'd love to have the speeds some of you guys get. I pay for 30 down 10 up service from Charter, but I don't get it. My home system is all GigE connected and even my iMac is lucky to get 8-9 Meg down and 3-4 meg up. My wireless is N, and both my MacBook Pro and Vita get the same as the iMac.

I've put in several calls to Charter to have a tech come out but they never do.
  13. SC7639

SC7639 Active Member

PSN:
    SC7639
    I wouldn't complain at 12mb/s as my fastest speeds for my broadband is 1-5mb/s.

Maybe 12mb/s is the vita's maximum, you should check around the internet and if your still not happy ring sony ask them about it
  14. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Another MAJOR consideration is if any other NON n draft clients are connecting to the router. When the other legacy a/b/g clients are actively connected, it can slow your available throughput down as much as 75% (+/-5%).
  15. LiKuidd

LiKuidd Well-Known Member

PSN:
    LiKuidd
    my net is rather quick i can download 4 gbs worth of stuff on my ita within an hour... hmm?
  16. SC7639

SC7639 Active Member

PSN:
    SC7639
    Wow they need to get routers that can cope with both n and a/b/g at decent speeds or even a new band for this to work!

I might go onto 4G when it gets up and running properly
  17. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    F34RTEHR34PER
    That can cope fine... its just the n router has to slow down to be able to communicate with the legacy devices.

Best scenario is to build your wireless n network on the 5ghz band without any legacy devices.

If you HAVE to support legacy devices, get a dual band router with 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Then set the 2.4ghz band to support the legacy devices, and leave the 5ghz band for only wireless n traffic.
  18. nobopyon

nobopyon Active Member

PSN:
    nobopyon
    wow.... it's so technical, it sounds different language to me LOL.. :pP

but I can sure tell you know what you are talking about! I should google those!
  19. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    F34RTEHR34PER
    SISO - single input single output
    MIMO - multiple input multiple output

Basically in the simplest terms my old mind can explain it is MIMO allows for more throughput with multliple data streams and it spreads the transmit power over the antennas to give more data/s per hz, and more reliability.

There's a LOT more involved if you wanna lear more about it. I mean, what I typed is extremely basic and limited as to what MIMO is and how it effectively does its job.
    nobopyon likes this.
  20. nobopyon

nobopyon Active Member

PSN:
    nobopyon
    Thank you, for the more insight of the info!

So if you have more than one device connected to your wifi router, that is MIMO?

OK, forget what I just asked, i think i just made myself sound dumb... :p