Psvita/Sony aftercare service in hong kong

Discussion in 'PS Vita System & Accessories' started by B-Lo3376, Jan 6, 2012.

1. B-Lo3376

B-Lo3376 New Member

Hi all,

I bought a PSV at the Asia Gameshow on the first day (23rd. Dec.) it was released in hk and wanted to share my experience with you.

First of all the machine is beautiful, I got uncharted and mvc3 and both are excellent.

Ok problems...After charging the machine i noticed that when the machine was not plugged into the charger the psv would throw up error messages. To cut a long story short there was a problem with the battery. Also under dark conditions i noticed blotches on the OLED screen.

In addition I queued up 2 hours before the gameshow started but had to queue for 7 1/2 hours in total as Sony only allocated 5 cashiers to handle the 550 people who were chosen to get hold of the machine that day. Nice one Sony!

I went back to the gameshow to exchange the machine only to be told "sorry the machines are for sale only, you have to wait until the 28th Dec. and take it to the repair shop". If one were to buy any electronic equipment at a retailer in HK it is usually policy that if the machine is faulty it can be returned within 7 days. I think it is very poor that Sony does not offer this service.

When I took my machine back on the 28th December to the sony repair shop, I was told it would take upto 7 working days for my machine to be fixed. This is the 7th day and I have had no response. I called Sony and they said they would get someone to call me. Still waiting...

In addition, there were about 10 plus people that also brought their psvs back on the same day as me (first working day after Xmas holidays). The majority had problems with the 3G model having no signal.

So the moral of all this is if you are thinking of importing a model wait until the teething problems have been fixed before buying. Second sony's aftercare service in hk is s*it! Shame as the ps vita from my limited time with it impressed me as a gaming machine.
  2. B-Lo3376

B-Lo3376 New Member

Oh before I forget the screen protector that comes with the value pack only covers the screen and not the whole of the front plate and it looks odd because of this. Plus the screen isn't as resilient to scratches as the iPhone one so be careful what you use to wipe the screen with.
  3. liquidgoat

liquidgoat New Member

Did you get your vita back? And the problems fixed?
    I got my vita at the Japanese launch. As far as I can tell, it works great, though I haven't checked the 3g yet. I also have this OLED blotchy display in dark conditions you mentioned. I have read it is common defect for OLED displays, and if it affects all vitas then nothing to be done. Does anyone know if this is affecting all vitas, or just some?
  4. Mendax

Mendax Well-Known Member

It's not a defect at all; it's just a part of OLED technology. Basically all OLED displays do that.
  5. Mikaru

Mikaru Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    PSN:
    Mikaru
    My Nokia doesn't have this problem though. It has an AMOLED screen. But it might be invisible because of the size (3.7")... Or because it uses Clear Black technology.
  6. liquidgoat

liquidgoat New Member

I take it that means that it is a fairly widespread feature of OLED displays on the vita then?
    Though I am no expert, I was slightly skeptical of this notion that this affects all OLED displays given that 50+ inch OLED tvs are now in production. As others have stated, though the effect on the vita is noticeable only in a dark room, but (at least on mine) it is still fairly obvious in this condition. However, for a tv set which is most often viewed in a dark room, and given the huge size, this would seem to be quite a detractor for OLED tvs. I have never seen one in person though...
  7. Mendax

Mendax Well-Known Member

Apprently the technical term for the blotchyness is 'mura'.

This comes from some company peddling some technology to manufacturers that's supposed to prevent mura.
  8. B-Lo3376

B-Lo3376 New Member

Not got it back yet. Called again yesterday and had a go at them. Sony called me last night and said they would give me a new machine. Told them to test it first before giving it to me. I'll let you know if I get it back and whether it works. With the screen they said there was dust in it which was causing the blotches. One interesting thing for you guys. The guy I spoke to said they have had a lot of returns which was causing the delay (don't think Sony Hq would like people to know of this). Never again will I buy a Sony machine at launch. My wife had problems with her Experia arc which had to be returned 3 times due to the motherboard burning out.
  9. B-Lo3376

B-Lo3376 New Member

Oh I had a galaxy s2 for a while. Oled screen was perfect. Shame android didn't work too well on it.
  10. B-Lo3376

B-Lo3376 New Member

right, the working day is almost over in HK and I haven't heard from Sony about picking up my PS Vita. So basically they told me the maximum time it would take for me to get it back fixed was 7 days and they haven't delivered. I've called up the customer "service" hotline twice to chase up. They have given me new dates of when I would get it back and they haven't delivered.

Ok if this happened to you, what would be your next step of trying to get your machine back? The system in HK is that Sony outsource their playstation related repairs to a company called TSO and they have no address or anything otherwise i would go up and pay them a visit.

By the way, spending over 3,000HKD (or the equivalent) and finding blotches on the screen is not acceptable. If and when mine comes back and it still has this problem my PS Vita is going up for sale.
  11. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    MageOfRevenants
    Wow this sucks that you had to go through all this with your Vita, Hope the new one you get will work to your likings. You are the first that I've heard that had this problem. And I have watched tons of Youtube reviews even ones days to a week after use. But hopefully all these "issues" will be fixed come NA launch.
  12. B-Lo3376

B-Lo3376 New Member

TBH, I expect there to be a few technical hiccups at launch. I've never had a problem with Playstation stuff before so I am just shocked at Sony's after"care" service. If I have had a problem with electronic stuff before its always been changed/fixed within 3 days tops. From this I have to say if Sony flops then I have no sympathy for them at all. They obviously don't really give a sh*t about their customers.
  13. B-Lo3376

B-Lo3376 New Member

Oh I took screenshots of the error messages I got. For some reason I can't seem to upload them on this forum. Anyway, basically, game files either would not start/could not be saved/became corrupted/games would not download when the Vita was not plugged into the charger. With the Vita plugged int the charger everything worked perfectly (and yes the battery was charged fully). A bit ironic as its supposed to be "portable".

anyway, I'm getting tired of my own complaining here. If any of you guys can give any tips on how I can get my PS VIta back from Sony fixed it would be much appreciated!
  14. B-Lo3376

B-Lo3376 New Member

Well Sony didn't call so I went to the repair centre to enquire. Got my new ps vita! Seems to run on the battery ok but will put it to the test after its been fully charged. With the oled screen there is still a blotch on it but it's fairly faint and it's much better than on my old ps vita. All in all this was a pretty sh*t experience. Btw I asked the lady who worked there whether there were a lot of returns and all she responded was "I hope I never have to go through a similar experience again". Hope you guys have a better experience than me when you get yours.

Oh I am glad they gave me a new vita as I scratched the screen of the old one when I wiped it with a tissue (maybe I should have used ultra soft)! So be careful with yours!