PS Vita VS PS3

Discussion in 'PS Vita General' started by sunjay141, Apr 18, 2012.

?

Did this thread make sense

Poll closed May 18, 2012.
  1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. sunjay141

sunjay141 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    sunjay140
    Many people are comparing the PS Vita (which isn't even 1/2 of a year old) to the PS3 (which is 6 years old) and it's way to early to compare the Vita to the PS3 and they're really making the Vita look bad so I wanna educate the members of this forums and I'm gonna compare the Vita (at its current state/early state/state when developers have alot to learn about and games arent out that utililize it's capabilities yet, then we are gonna think of the future of the Vita based on what can be currently seen 18/04/12 aka the day before my birthday.

GUI: the PS3's XMB (XrossMediaBar) VS PS Vita's Live Area

XMB is an old dated UI that was previously on the PSP which was released in 2004 in Japan and in 2005 in the US. XMB has gotten really dated and boring and it's about time that it gets a refresh.

CPU: the PS3's 3.2 GHz Cell Broadband Engine with 1 PPE & 7 SPEs VS PS Vita's Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore

We haven't been told what the the clock rate of the PS Vita's CPU is but since it's the kind of CPU as Apple's A5 chip in the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 it's safe to assume that is 800 MHZ - 1 GHZ. If its 800 GHZ at least then 800 MHZ * Quad Core gives us 3.2 GHZ which is on par with the PS3

GPU and RAM: PS3's 550 MHz NVIDIA/SCEI RSX 'Reality Synthesizer' with 256MB of RAM and 256MB of VRamVS PS Vita's
    Graphics 4-core SGX543MP4+ with 512MB of RAM and 128MB of VRAM, even Yoshida from Sony admits that the Vita has more RAM that the PS3 and that's why Party Chats works while playing games (something the PS3 can't do but PS Vita and Xbox 360 can)

PS Vita plays PS3 games when using Cross Play and that proves the the Vita has PS3 graphics.

IT IS WAY TO EARLY TO COMPARE THE VITA TO THE PS3 BECAUSE DEVELOPERS DON'T KNOW THE VITA VERY WELL AND MANY DONT KNOW IT AT ALL, IT WOULD TAKE SOME TIME FOR DEVELOPERS TO USE THE HARDWARE TO ITS FULL EXTENT, LAUNCH TITLES ALWAYS SUCK BUT THE VITA WAS BETTER THAN THE OTHERS.

THE PS3 TOOK YEARS TO GET THE QUALITY OF GAMES THAT IS HAS NOW BECAUSE IT WAS GIVEN TIME FOR THE DEVELOPERS TO UNDERSTAND IT SO CAN'T THE VITA BE GIVEN TIME???????
  2. Lethal

Lethal THE Admin

United States
    PSN:
    Lethal_NFS
    Why would anyone compare a hand held device to a full console?

No matter how you slice and dice it, the PS Vita will never be as powerful or have PS3 quality games.

The best PS3 games are 20gb+ in size. The PS Vita will never be able to achieve that.
  3. sunjay141

PSN:
    sunjay140
    Ask the people who are doing it, this thread was a response to it
  4. Inoperable Brain Tumor

Inoperable Brain Tumor Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    Cloroxbb
    Dude, nobody cares. Let whoever, compare whatever they want. It really doesnt affect anything at all.
  5. LiKuidd

LiKuidd Well-Known Member

PSN:
    LiKuidd
    no. seriously. anyone who says otherwise. bang bang.
  6. Yanikun

Yanikun Well-Known Member

France
    I'm gonna ignore the doubts expressed above and give my opinion.

As a gaming device, I like the Vita much better. It's just too convenient to play on a handheld rather than on a home console. I want to be playing in my bed my back resting against the wall. If I want to play on a couch, then I could do that too with the Vita. You can play wherever and in whichever position you want. That's how I like to game, and that's how I've liked it since the original Game Boy and now that home consoles and handhelds are about as powerful as one another, I really have no real reason to play a PS3 or a Wii. And let's not forget that the Vita and the 3DS have touch screens, which we're all used to by now and makes navigating menus and typing much faster and easier.

In terms of the whole package, the PS3 has a blu-ray player which is really cool, but it seems now like you can find a blu-ray player for pretty cheap.
  7. sunjay141

PSN:
    sunjay140
    real Comparisons decide their answers based on tech specs, not games.
    Using tech specs shows the potential of new devices like the PS Vita.
    People are judging it on the games, and most of them are launch titles but the best games for a device don't come soon after it is released, they come years after and the PS3 is the perfect example
  8. sunjay141

PSN:
    sunjay140
    good point
  9. MadMike

MadMike Moderator

PSN:
    MadMike22089
    Obviously the Vita isn't as powerful as a PS3 so it may be unreasonable to expect the same graphical quality, especially at such an early stage. However, there is absolutely no reason why the quality of games (from a gameplay standpoint) on the Vita should be any lower than the PS3. If I'm paying for a game, I don't care what platform it's on, it should be finished and be able to run smoothly on the system.
  10. BassMan

BassMan Active Member

Canada
    Get both systems and enjoy them both. No need for comparison as it is obvious PS3 is superior overall.
    Luuk.vanRiel and KidTeiK like this.
  11. LiKuidd

LiKuidd Well-Known Member

PSN:
    LiKuidd
    this. /end of thread. imo
    Luuk.vanRiel likes this.
  12. Luuk.vanRiel

Luuk.vanRiel The Eternal Poster

Why compare. I can't remember people comparing the psp to the ps2. But looking at the specs of the used processors IRS quite obvious ps3 is by far more powerful. developers can even utilize one core to tessellation. I can't see the vita do such a thing. But let's be honest. Mobile devices/handheld gaming systems will always be around 6 years behind the console tech. Ya should ask accept that. Another point its. Right now the newest smartphones also utilize quad Cote processors that run at way higher speeds than vita. While when vita was announced over a year ago it utilized the newest tech available. But the rapid aging in computer hardware doesn't mean any mobile device will match it on the gaming department within another three years. On vita developers will spend millions on making engines that make games look as pretty as done ps3 games.
  13. kaizere

kaizere Well-Known Member

never owned a ps3..and never been a hardcore gamer..but to me that is one hell of a game....I thought console games only have 10gb below lol
  14. Lethal

Lethal THE Admin

United States
    PSN:
    Lethal_NFS
    God of War 3 is a 40gb game on the PS3. Uncharted 3 is 30gb I believe. The Xbox 360 games are all under 8gb because of it's disc format. Unless the game is multiple discs of course.
  15. Luuk.vanRiel

Luuk.vanRiel The Eternal Poster

Yep Blu-Ray is a really good thingfor games. Less compression and almost unlimited space. Greatly takes a lot of stress of developers and can make for much bigger games with more different character models and textures.