Is 4GB for game card storage enough?

Discussion in 'PS Vita General' started by AMonte, Mar 3, 2011.

1. AMonte

AMonte Active Member

When they announced 2GB and 4GB for the game card storage I said ok. But I just now was doing some researching around and saw the supposdly the 3DS's game cards are from 1-8GB. That made me wonder, if the 3DS's game cards can be 8GB and it's for the 3DS which is more a casual and for kids, than is 4GB for the NGP, which can do full hardcore games like Uncharted and Killzone, enough? And can 3DS games actually be bigger or have the potential to be better than NGP games? because that can depend on which handheld I get. Please answer.
    Buckybuckster likes this.
  2. Crysus

Crysus New Member

give it time...
    my guess is that that's presumably just the case for launch games
    after a while the capacity will increase just like the pro duo
    and when you consider it started at a few kb as far as i recall and ended up at 16GB
    there's always room to grow ;-)
  3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

United States
    PSN:
    ckelv
    Game developers should know more than anyone how much space should be needed. If 4GB is not enough, I hope they complain to Sony. Hopefully, 2 and 4 are just want Sony has planned and their system allows larger cards to be used later on when needed.
  4. Buckybuckster

Buckybuckster Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    buckybuckster
    Seems to low to me...maybe some sort of gonzo memory compression tech which allows them to cram a large amount of data into a smaller space??? As an aside...has anyone heard if the NGP is going to ship with any on board memory?? It would seem to be a given, but I haven't heard Sony (or anyone else for that matter) address the subject.
  5. Crysus

Crysus New Member

it's been confirmed at the GDC that it will have internal storage by explaing that the game cards would be able to hold game saves and patches

unfortunately there has been no mention as of yet, how large the capacity will be
  6. thehunter01

thehunter01 Well-Known Member

Sony stated that there will be 2gb cartridges and 4gb cartridges on day 1 available for developers to work with.

10% of those cartridges data will be reserved for future DLC's + Patches + Saves.

that means 2gb = 1,8gb ( umd ) for smaller games
    and the 4gb = 3,6gb space for big games.

which is far high enough for earlier projects, as assets etc and textures will be scaled down in comparison with the main home consoles. Which reduces cartridge space by a lot

Sony did mentioned, that they can expand the cartridges in the future if its needed for higher formats, as they where not limited anymore by "disc formats" such as UMD. They specifically pointed this out as a major + point. ( some interview reported that cartridges could go up as high as blu-ray discs, but that it would be a massive overkill and not necessary )

3DS = 2gb cartridges atm, can can scale up towards 8gb later on in its lifetime.

Both game space isn't going to be a issue.
  7. N3MES1S75

N3MES1S75 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    N3M3S1S75
    I think for now 4Gb is enough, i can't see sony not being able to bring out 8Gb or even 16Gb game cards that work on the NGP at a later date. Sony are not Apple they are not going to release the NGP2 a year later, or the NGP3 a year after that. Let's face it at the moment how many portable games require 8Gb.
  8. fanoulimate

fanoulimate Active Member

I think 4 gb must be the standard size, and all the others just variables for developers who want more or less space.
  9. Chris

United States
    PSN:
    ckelv
    But there aren't any portables out there that come anywhere near the NGP and it is supposed to be capable of playing games similar to Xbox 360 and PS3 games. Sound often takes up a lot of storage capacity so that could be reduced but I would like to be able to listen to high quality sound with good headphones. I'm not worried about it 4GB, I just want the developers to be free to utilize the NGP to the fullest.
  10. Luuk.vanRiel

Luuk.vanRiel The Eternal Poster

you'll have to consider that the screen is not 1080p but around 550p. All the textures can be downscaled to that size without anyone noticing. I don't think sound will be an issue. Sony always delivers quality sound so they won't throw that name away. of course when the games get bigger. maybe gta or monster hunter. With vast open world the memory card will grow as wel. imagine, games like just cause are only around 7 gb so nothing to worrie about
    awesomeness likes this.
  11. manuel

manuel Active Member

it depends on how big the games will be
  12. thehunter01

They could always go 2 cartridge way or install / unpack solutions ( temp files needed for example )
    They can enlarge cartridges any time of the day, there isn't much of a issue.

and btw 1080p > vita resolution = 4x lower, 720p > vita resolution is about 2x a bit lesser lower.
  13. Chris

United States
    PSN:
    ckelv
    One of the reasons massive open world games don't always take up a ton of space is because they re-use art resources. Buildings and textures will often be repeated with slight variations.
  14. thehunter01

World of warcraft is a great example of it, buildings are always the same only with different layouts. same goes for caves. Hell i believe 90% of the caves are exactly the same lol :p just different items in it :D
    Dark_AnNiaLatOr likes this.
  15. Luuk.vanRiel

Luuk.vanRiel The Eternal Poster

agree with you on that one
    manuel likes this.
  16. awesomeness

awesomeness Well-Known Member

but a super high grade game graphically crysis 2 was only 7.5 or smthin on my pc and it worked perfectly......if tat game is 7.5gb and all the games on the xbox360 which are all the games comin out except the ps3 exclusives then obviously all the games now would fit into the ngp at the moment!!!!
    personally 8gb would be ideal!!!!! i always think y they didnt do tat???
  17. manuel

manuel Active Member

yeah ur right
  18. jacob

jacob Active Member

Games on the xbox are typiclly compressed more to save on space. Dragon age is a good example as the textures are lower than the ps3 and PC. The ps3 exclusives have larger games because they arnt compressed to the same degree and are not restricted to a DVD.
    DVD=4.5-9GB, BR=25-50GB
    The psVita has lower resolution screen so textures wouldn't be as large. the memory stick loads quicker so i guess they could compress games more than usual and you wouldn't notice a big difference (not sure about that one :D )

look at the psp, its UMD holds 1.8gb MAX. most games didnt even come close to that.
    Now the PSvita can hold 4GB. which is over double that of the UMD.
    I doubt ANY game on the Vita will be over 8GB in its life time.

So i think 4GB will do fine :)
  19. VITA_OWNER

VITA_OWNER Active Member

i can see amazing things happening with the vita, games with huge stories and environment's graphics that really push the system With time a developer like Rockstar can do something mind blowing that will probably require a 12 GB card or something
  20. equilibrium75

equilibrium75 Active Member

Im worried about the fact that vita games will be 4 gbs at most
    awesomeness likes this.