How to charge the battery correctly....

Discussion in 'PS Vita System & Accessories' started by metal-siren, Feb 22, 2012.

1. metal-siren

metal-siren Member

PSN:
    metal-siren
    ok this is not as bad as it sounds :)

what I mean is,
    1) should we let the PS Vita run down to near death and then charge
    2) should we top it off at half way marks etc

I know with the newer batteries that topping off is better than letting it drain down to nothing before charging but I could not find it in any of the PS Vita manuals

any ideas here?
  2. Dimorphic

Dimorphic Active Member

You're really think far too complicated here, just charge it whenever the hell you feel like charging it. I usually do so once the battery indicator starts becoming orange/red.
  3. pro_Ove

pro_Ove Member

PSN:
    pro_Ove
    Actually I am wondering too, I know that most current smart phones hate to be discharged and it is advised to charge them after they drop bellow 70% (ADVISED - meaning when it's just lying around at 70 and it could be charged then why the hell not?) so how is it really with the Vita?
  4. Gamzinga

Gamzinga Active Member

PSN:
    Gamzinga
    Well on the official manual it does state the the battery does lose its strength and capacity over time(like all other batteries do), so it doesn't really matter when you charge it. In a couple months, third parties will release PSV batteries which may be better and able to hold more charge for the PSVita. And yes, the battery is removable and replaceable.

But if you want to know, when the PSVita indicator pops up saying the battery is low, I just wait a couple minutes, turn off the PSV, and then let it charge. I wait till it gets fully charged and the blue PS logo is gone. I hope Sony releases an update for the PSV that adds a battery PERCENTAGE indicator to show you exactly how much juice is left, better than the current battery display.
    Dremic likes this.
  5. Dremic

Dremic Active Member

PSN:
    Phlorge
    there is a whole thread on this because this is a pretty common question.. but to give you a basic run down, no you don't need to charge your vita before using it.. Lithium batteries don't have memory like old batteries used to. It also gives deets about when and how your battery loses its life... temperatures do the most damage when the battery is fully charged.. so like if you leave it in and the battery continues to heat up and heat up and heat up, then it drastically loses life. Or if you fully charge it and then keep it somewhere hot anywhere over 60 degrees C, that also does significant amounts of dmg. I keep mine at a full charge and unplug it as soon as it's done charging just to be safe and I live in an arid climate so I don't plan to take it anywhere thats not air conditioned :D
  6. ALEXJ93

ALEXJ93 Member

PSN:
    ALEXJ93
    is it ok to play while its charging?
    Dremic likes this.
  7. Dremic

Dremic Active Member

PSN:
    Phlorge
    Yeah. The charger is actually pretty strong... I charged about half the battery in an hour so playing it probably won't even slow it down too much
  8. Lethal

Lethal Moderator Staff Member

United States
    PSN:
    Lethal_NFS
    First of all, toss out all information you know about batteries. Here is what I found and tested.

Day 1: Played and drained the battery in just 2hrs.

1st full charge lasted me 3hrs. Played till it drained.

2nd full charge lasted me 4hrs.

3rd full charge lasted me over 5hrs.

Now I get roughly 6hrs of battery life. It seems the battery does need a few full charges to properly hold a charge. This is confirmed by myself, and a few of my friends.
    B-boy Craiz and TheBrutux168 like this.
  9. Yukimichi

Yukimichi Active Member

PSN:
    Edmund5049
    Somehow I'm getting this too, i played Trails in the sky on my vita for nearly 7 hours straight on a full charge, and had about 10-15% of juice left. Not sure how but the vita is kinda weird, I guess it really depends on how graphically demanding the game you're playing is.
    Dremic likes this.
  10. Dremic

Dremic Active Member

PSN:
    Phlorge

have you changed the brightness @ all ?

I would assume It's the game your playing certain games are definitely more demanding