Gamestop is a ripoff

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by KazaaMafia, Mar 28, 2012.

1. KazaaMafia

KazaaMafia New Member

PSN:
    damafiaman2020
    So today I called Gamestop.. Not that I wanted to trade in my Vita.. I was curious to see the trade value on the new system.

$100 store credit
    $80 cash

I see why they still barely have any used ones in store yet.
  2. Rakuen33

Rakuen33 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Thirty3Three
    Yep! You're lucky! I traded in my PSP and about 5 wii games and a nunchuck for literally $32.41. Cash. Lovely eh? The joke's on them. The battery's messed up! ^^
    PixelKnot93 likes this.
  3. KazaaMafia

KazaaMafia New Member

PSN:
    damafiaman2020
    I would of kept that PSP and the other gear and put them on Ebay or Craigslist. $32.41? Holy shit lol.
  4. Rakuen33

PSN:
    Thirty3Three
    Yeah haha! At that time I needed all the money I could get in minutes - long story haha! I still have 2 more PSPs. LOL. One to actually use, and another PSP that I don't use much anymore (Missing the analog nub).
    And get this; literally 2 days after I sold it, I found out there's a place near me called 'The Vault' which would EASILY had bought the thing for 150 bucks at the very least! LOL. #Fail.

But yeah, it was also gamestop's "50% trade-in" thing... Sucks LOL
  5. MadMike

MadMike Retired Moderator

PSN:
    MadMike22089
    I call shenanigans. Why would a place be willing to pay over retail price for a PSP?

Do people still not understand that companies like Gamestop are there to make money? If people are too lazy to sell their things themselves, why shouldn't a company who is taking all of the risk get a decent profit? People act like they see instant profit on everything they buy. The game sits on the shelves, maybe for a week, maybe for a year, or maybe it never even sells. Prices drop, the store still has to pay their employees, and some things just never sell. Sounds like a lot of overhead to me. Bottom line: if you want more, get off your ass and sell it yourself. :p
    Grover likes this.
  6. enfurno

enfurno New Member

PSN:
    zombenfurno
    Ebay. Gamestop is a business, trying to make a profit. Just like if you go to 7 eleven to buy eggs, you pay 3 times as much as you would at the grocery store. Convenience comes at a fee, and always will.
    Vinny44484, KidTeiK and MadMike like this.
  7. TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast Well-Known Member

PSN:
    TeknoBlast
    I use GS as my last resort to get rid of any unwanted items. I'm not that desperate for the cash, so I attempt on CL, ebay, then last with GS.
  8. Rakuen33

PSN:
    Thirty3Three
    LOL... yeeeeaaah. ;P I have the receipt haha!
  9. MadMike

PSN:
    MadMike22089
    Care to share it with us? I would like to see a store that pays $150 for a used PSP. A PSP sells for $130 brand new. I have a hard time believing that any business could pay significantly more than an item is worth without going under in a month.
  10. Rakuen33

PSN:
    Thirty3Three
    OHHHHH. I think you misread my post! I didn't sell it at that store xD I sold it to GameStop. I have the receipt for when I sold it for 33 dollars ;P Sorry dude! My bad! haha!
  11. MadMike

PSN:
    MadMike22089
    "I found out there's a place near me called 'The Vault' which would EASILY had bought the thing for 150 bucks at the very least!"

That's what I was talking about, it just didn't make any sense to me, haha. :p
  12. Rakuen33

PSN:
    Thirty3Three
    OH! 2 of my friends sold their PSPs their for that much last year. They're both like best friends, so come to think of it, they maybe making stuff up -.- I hope not, cause I have another PSP I want to sell there! LOL
  13. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    F34RTEHR34PER
    How is it a rip off? They tell you the price, and you either agree or not. I really can't stand when people say they are a rip off like they've been duped or something.

I'll agree that their prices for trade-ins SUCK 99% of the time, however it's not a rip-off.
    MadMike likes this.
  14. Boogly

Boogly Member

PSN:
    Boogly
    Yeah they're sort of cheap when it comes to trade-ins. They offered me $27 store credit for my PSP 3000. Needless to say, I still have my PSP LOL
  15. KernelXD

KernelXD Active Member

PSN:
    KernelFM
    i made out like a bandit once at a gamestop. you know how they have that 7 day return policy on used games? if you don't like it for whatever reason you can get your money back. well i was doing this for a while... bought one game for like 30 bucks or something. and kept returning the game and using my store credit to buy another then returning that one and so on and so on. i did it for a month and a half till i returned Tom Clancy's HAWX. i had bought it used for 27.99 and returned it for 54.99 of credit. 'GOO!' i thought. that's when i took the opportunity to buy a used PSP with the extra credit and some legal tender.

i went back to that store a bunch of times afterwards. nobody ever said anything to me. store mistake is customers gain.
  16. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

PSN:
    AsaCarter
    I remember going through the 1$ bin of games for the ps2 as a little 1st and 2nd grader. i use to think gamestop was the heaven before heaven.
    KernelXD likes this.
  17. KazaaMafia

KazaaMafia New Member

PSN:
    damafiaman2020

Well you go trade your system in and see if you feel stupid.. Whether you trade it and or NOT, $100 store credit isn't much.. I would of understand at least $125-150 store credit.. and maybe $100 cash if you wanted cash instead.. I understand Gamestop is trying to make money too, but like I said, you wonder why they have zero to very little used Vitas to resell.. No one's not stupid enough to trade-in for that value, until they have a special deal that gives more value to the trade-in.
  18. LiKuidd

LiKuidd Well-Known Member

PSN:
    LiKuidd
    gamestop has always been a robbery lol...
  19. cannabliss

cannabliss Active Member

Ya it is a rip at times, like when I had a perfect condition Xbox 360 Elite i wanted to trade for cash a while back. Only offered $100 cash or store credit which would have been a lot more i suppose. Just the other day though I went to my gamestop to trade my wii for store credit, but unfourtanatley it was opened by a previous owner so no cigar there, but i had super mario galaxy 2 and Build n' Race so I got $30 bucakroos in store credit and bought Unit 13 for 10 dollhairs lol. Seems better than $40 for games I never play.
  20. Lethal

Lethal Moderator Staff Member

United States
    PSN:
    Lethal_NFS
    How would Gamestop make a profit if they gave you exactly what you wanted out of it?

Also, Gamestop offers one solid price for every single item. If your Vita is in perfect condition, and mine has scratches all over it, we both get the same amount of money/credit. Since Gamestop does not appraise the condition of items, they offer a medium price to make up for items in less than perfect condition.

Don't like what Gamestop offers? Sell it on Craigslist and deal with all the people trying to lowball you.
    KernelXD and A410c like this.