FIFA 13

Discussion in 'PS Vita Reviews' started by Murphy, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Murphy

Murphy Founder of The Vita Lounge Staff Member

United Kingdom
    PSN:
    PMurphy1978
    Review on Murphy's site with pictures and captions

This is the second FIFA title this year, and I felt that the first, FIFA FOOTBALL played a decent game of footy, but should have been better. It was missing a lot of key features from the console versions, such as Ultimate Team and Pro clubs. Since we now have a numbered version, which has a whole host of new features to enjoy, we should have a better version now, right?

I’ll kick this off by letting you know the bad news. If you have come along expecting a closer version to the console edition, as you would perhaps feel a sense of expectation (since this version is numbered, and not simply called “FOOTBALL”) then you will find yourself out of luck. There are no skill moves to be found, nor the impact engine V2, and the complete dribbling and advanced AI portions seem to have taken a wander too.

What you do have though, a few refinements here and there aside is a nigh on identical copy to the previous game. So it’s like an impact engine 0.5 version of FIFA 11, with 2013-2014 rosters and kits. Upon further investigation, the team select screen is slightly different, and when choosing your teams the box at the bottom changes colour in line with the teams main colour. The menu screens react far quicker than before and scrolling through formations no longer feels as much of a chore. This does however give you more time to look at your team in more detail, and highlights crazy errors, such as many players all being two years younger than they really are, at least in the kick off mode. Thankfully this seems to not happen in career mode.

But when you scroll through the options, perhaps looking for the CPU skill customisations seen in FIFA 12 or indeed the tactical defending then you are out of luck. There is nothing new to see here folks. The game modes and online options all remain the same as they were in FIFA FOOTBALL, giving you Kick Off, Create a Tournament, Career Mode and Online.
    The title screen and introduction are different, owing no doubt to EA Sports’ new marquee signing, Lionel Messi but any sense of anything else being different very soon begins to evaporate.

That being said, it isn’t always a bad thing and the game still plays a very good game of football, even if it is a couple of generations behind. As introduced in the first Vita version, touch screen controls for passing and shooting are still present and just as useful/annoying (delete on your preference) as they were before. The AI does appear to be a little more evolved in that it makes a few better plays and moves, and the pace equiped players certainly do feel like they move a lot better. The burst of pace is definately there, especially with players like Ronaldo or Walcott.

Career mode is nigh on the same, although the calendar does seem to move faster through the days, but there is no transfer window deadline day feature and you still cannot scout for players, and the international manager feature touted for 13 doesn’t make an appearance. Quelle suprise.
    Also missing from the console version are Ultimate Team, Pro Clubs and all the Create a Club options, Head to Head Seasons online and simple things that could easily be achievable on the Vita, like replay saving. Pretty much anything that 13 was said to offer isn’t here. Except for the Saudi Arabian teams. Well more teams is good right?

But all of this doesn’t detract from the fact that it does present a decent representation of the beautiful game, the biggest criticism is that it is too similar to the game that came six months ago. Now, if you didn’t buy the original then quite simply buy this. It’s a cut down version of the consloe experience but is still fun and is a perfect fit for the Vita. But if you did buy it, it probably doesn’t represent enough of an upgrade to be honest, especially at full price.

Published by EA Sports Developed by EA Canada
    Released 28th September 2012 Memory Card required
    Review copy provided by EA

Review score = 3/5 - GOOD
    + Still plays a good game of Football
    + Career mode runs much quicker
    - Pretty much just kits and squads updated
    - Missing many features from console version
    - Why call it 13 when it clearly isn’t?
  2. SIMSIM16

SIMSIM16 Well-Known Member

United Kingdom
    PSN:
    SIMSIM16
    Thanks for the review, i will now not get this game as EA clearly doesn't care about the vita. FIFA football wasn't a complete game, i let them off because it was an early game, but some of the trophies didn't even work. I thought this time around with FIFA 13 they would of done it right................. but obviously not.
    Murphy likes this.
  3. Murphy

United Kingdom
    PSN:
    PMurphy1978
    I wouldn't say they don't care about the Vita as such, EA still continue to support the PSP to a degree. It's more treating the fanbase with disdain. We don't want this game to flop as such, as it may affect future titles coming to the Vita.

But it is definately lazy. Konami have said that PES will come to the Vita at some point. Sooner rather than later; it's not my thing but just a presence will force EA to up their game.

It is a good game, it's just two years behind already, and will require a serious jump to get on par with the current console generation.

I can deal with no UT, and probably clubs. But it the little things, like match day, replay saving, tactical defending and so on.

If they actually released it on a par with the current engine, I'd wager that we would all be happy with that.
  4. Laocontico

Laocontico Well-Known Member

Colombia
    PSN:
    laocontico
    Nice, I almost totally agree with you but I would give it a 1 out of 5.
    Only beacuse they advertised it was going to be if not 80% at least 50% like the console game branded with the number 13.
    And clearly this is not.
    Still fun though, just wish for a new patch soon to fix the laggy online more.

Do you think in the future they could relsease some updates to kinda try to included what all fans want?

Also im seriously looking to turn back into PES whenever comes out, its been a while, I think since 2008 since I abandoned them.
    Maybe is time for some change.
    Lets just hope Konami a least gives a little fuck about the vita when it comes to sports.
  5. Murphy

United Kingdom
    PSN:
    PMurphy1978
    They never actually said anything about it on the Vita. 1/5 is totally your opinion. what would you have given the original? I pumped for 3 because I gave the original 3. From the perspective of someone who has not bought it, it is a 3. For someone who did they have to make their own judgement, and i can totally understand yours. :) I gave EURO 2012 2/5 for similar reasons.

I doubt they will. They may well take feedback and put it to good use in next year...

PES is exactly what FIFA Vita needs. Ironic really.
  6. Laocontico

Laocontico Well-Known Member

Colombia
    PSN:
    laocontico
    I think I read all the info about the game being this or that on several web pages, but you are right, I never checked if it was official news or not.

I would have given the original a 4, it was the first game, and they treat it like its own game, even with a 2 year delayed engine.
    ..and yeah I know ...'' you give a 4 to the one before but this is the same and you give it a 1.....''
    My *note* (ha!) just comes out of my tantrum of the month.
    As a costumer and a fan I find it irresponsible/disrespectfull from them.
    As I have been saying on the official thread, is still a fun game and I will keep playing it untill something better pops up.

Awww, hurry up Konami!
    Murphy likes this.
  7. Akkster

Akkster Active Member

India
    PSN:
    Akkster
    Nice review! Just fyi... all the console features are mentioned on PSN.. That is really misleading!
    I guess i'll be getting it because i haven't got fifa football. But only after all the online lag problems are fixed.
    Murphy likes this.
  8. joe_yohannes

joe_yohannes Member

Indonesia
    PSN:
    joe_yohannes
    You haven't reviewed for the online play. Is that lag a lot or it works just fine? please update me since i really want to buy this game only for playing online. Thanks a lot
    Murphy likes this.
  9. aBakedPie

aBakedPie Active Member

Netherlands
    PSN:
    aBakedPie
    Thanks for the review, this was really helpfull in deciding if I should get this game or wait for the other games like NFS or AC. I believe I will skip this title since it doesn't have much '13 features to it. I hope EA will eventually be more serious about the vita, so they start making games that are actually comparable to the console version.
    Murphy likes this.
  10. Murphy

United Kingdom
    PSN:
    PMurphy1978
    There's nothing to report really, it's the same as FIFA FOOTBALL. Not that much lag in my experience so far.
  11. Monte

Monte Well-Known Member

Nice review as ever mate. Based on what you've said I'd like to wait until the game comes down in price.

Problem with that strategy is that FIFA games tend to hold their value really well right up unil the next release at which point they drop massively.

I'll probably go for it despite the criticisms I am hearing. If nothing else I'll be needing it for you next tournament!
    Murphy likes this.
  12. Codey47

Codey47 Active Member

United Kingdom
    PSN:
    Codey47
    Shame it's too much like the first.
    Not a shame because I get to save the cash for a worthy title.
    SIMSIM16 likes this.
  13. Thorzilla

Thorzilla Active Member

Mexico
    PSN:
    Thorzilla
    So, for someone who hasn't got Fifa Soccer on the Vita, is this worth getting? I crave some portable soccer now!
  14. Codey47

Codey47 Active Member

United Kingdom
    PSN:
    Codey47
    I would say so, Yes.

Just that the older version is cheaper. If you crave for the new kits and rosters then the latest version will satisfy your football needs.
  15. Thorzilla

Thorzilla Active Member

Mexico
    PSN:
    Thorzilla
    So it't basically just a roster update and thats it? I'm not too picky when it comes to that anyway. Gameplay wise, is it the same thing?
  16. Murphy

United Kingdom
    PSN:
    PMurphy1978
    Pretty much, very slight tweaks. If you don't have the first, FIFA 13 is the one to go for if you want the lastest. If the up to date rosters are not important to you, the first is much cheaper.
  17. Babs

Babs Member

United Kingdom
    PSN:
    DonBabs
    Murph would u believe even the wii u has the xbox and ps3 career mode, co op mode and even seasons
  18. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

PSN:
    AsaCarter
    Good review like usual, I think I may just go out and sell my 13 though when I just have football already. I share the exact same feelings as you do about this game.
  19. Babs

Babs Member

United Kingdom
    PSN:
    DonBabs
    Im keeping 13 because they just did a new squad and boot update