Charging via USB

Discussion in 'PS Vita General' started by GeesuzRage, Feb 28, 2012.

1. GeesuzRage

GeesuzRage New Member

The manual says the VITA won't charge via USB if it is not turned of, however I noticed it did charge when I left it connected to the USB after transferring files with the content manager. The home button did not glow red, but the battery indicator filled up. I thought that is not even possible?
  2. CYZLAK

CYZLAK New Member

PSN:
    CYZLAK
    It works if the console is on standby, not just turned off
  3. GeesuzRage

GeesuzRage New Member

Yeah I know, I just wondered as there were a lot of discussions about that it does not work and even the manual states

You can also charge your system by connecting it to a USB device such as a computer using the USB cable. When charging your system using a USB device, turn off your system. You cannot charge your system when it is in standby mode. To completely power off the system, press and hold the power button for two seconds, and then tap [Power Off] on the screen that appears.

So I was just really suprised.
  4. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Confirmed. Just had it plugged in a for about 10 minutes, and it went from 71% to 74% while in sleep mode. It absolutely DOES charge in sleep mode. (single press power button)
  5. Timv1985

Timv1985 New Member

PSN:
    timv1985
    mine is hit and miss, i tried it usb to computer.. nothing. usb to cigarrette adapter in car... nothing. usb to plug (HTC charger) charged.. i checked the usb settings also and everything seems in order
  6. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    F34RTEHR34PER
    How are you confirming that is isn't charging?
  7. Timv1985

Timv1985 New Member

PSN:
    timv1985
    no orange light, no battery charge symbol (ie. the lightning thing?!) compared to when using the provided charger...
  8. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Well, when it's sleeping, there won't be an orange light, nor can you see the charge icon on the battery.

Do this, plug it in your computer, don't open the content manager, and just press the power button to put it in sleep mode. Go onto your computer, and open My Computer. You should see the Vita listed as a device there along with your computer HDD, etc. Right click on it and go to Properties. You'll see what your current batter life is. Wait ten minutes, unlplug the vita from the computer, plug it back in, and check the properties again.
    Timv1985 likes this.
  9. Timv1985

Timv1985 New Member

PSN:
    timv1985
    il give that a try tonite... see if i notice any difference... but for the cigarette charge.. would it be better to swtich off completely rather than sleep?
  10. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I've not used a cig charger on it yet. I'd imagine it doesn't matter really. I've done it both ways with the PSP and it was fine.
  11. DarkOneX

DarkOneX Member

PSN:
    DarkOneX
    Mine has always charged while sleeping with my USB port, got a cable ran to the dock and the Vita sitting in the dock and it fully charges like that, and very quickly I might add. I figured mine worked because I have an Asus P6X58D mobo which has some sort of hyper charging USB ports that will charge even iPads.
  12. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Then yours SHOULD charge while it's on...
  13. DarkOneX

DarkOneX Member

PSN:
    DarkOneX
    I haven't tested it but it's possible that it might
  14. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I know the ports charge my ipad2, whereas the normal ones on my PC don't. So, you might be golden there.
  15. Lethal

Lethal Retired Moderator

United States
    PSN:
    Lethal_NFS
    My Vita does not charge when connected to my PC. I wish it did :(
  16. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Yes it does.
  17. Lethal

Lethal Retired Moderator

United States
    PSN:
    Lethal_NFS
    I have tried everything and it is not charging.
  18. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

United States
    PSN:
    F34RTEHR34PER
    From my post above:

Well, when it's sleeping, there won't be an orange light, nor can you see the charge icon on the battery.

Do this, plug it in your computer, don't open the content manager, and just press the power button to put it in sleep mode. Go onto your computer, and open My Computer. You should see the Vita listed as a device there along with your computer HDD, etc. Right click on it and go to Properties. You'll see what your current batter life is. Wait ten minutes, unlplug the vita from the computer, plug it back in, and check the properties again.
  19. Lethal

Lethal Retired Moderator

United States
    PSN:
    Lethal_NFS
    I will try it out now. You better be right after making me do all this bullshit to see if it is actually charging. I know the battery icon on my Vita does not show it is charging.
  20. Dremic

Dremic Active Member

PSN:
    Phlorge
    you know you have to change it in your settings to charge via usb?